A key function of Pace University’s International Disarmament Institute is the production of policy-relevant research in three streams:
- The human and environmental impact of weapons
- Policy pathways of disarmament, arms control and nonproliferation
- Monitoring and evaluation of disarmament policy and programs
Listed below are both reports published by the Institute itself and relevant publications by Pace University faculty and students. For further information about the Institute’s research, click here.
Reports Published or Written by the Institute
On Nuclear Weapons
- Series on “Addressing the the Humanitarian and Environmental Harm from Nuclear Weapons”
- Australia: Monte Bello, Emu Field and Maralinga Nuclear Test Sites (October 2018).
- Aotearoa New Zealand, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, Niue, Samoa, Tokelau, Tonga and Tuvalu: Fallout on Countries Downwind from French Pacific Nuclear Testing (Forthcoming – under review).
- Aotearoa New Zealand: Nuclear Veterans and Fallout from French Pacific Nuclear Testing (Forthcoming — under review).
- Fiji: Kirisimasi (Christmas and Malden Island) Veterans (May 2018).
- Kiribati: Nuclear Weapons Tests at Kiritimati (Christmas) and Malden Islands (May 2018).
- Humanitarian and Environmental Action to Address Nuclear Harm: The Treaty for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons as a Normative Framework for Assisting Victims of Nuclear Weapons Use and Testing and Remediating Contaminated Environments (October 2017).
- How the Nuclear Weapons Ban Treaty Helped Expose Disarmament’s Weakness on the Environment (July 2017).
- A Brief Guide to the new Nuclear Weapons Ban Treaty (July 2017).
- The Draft Convention on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons and Sustainable Development (June 2017).
- Strengthening the Positive Obligations on Victim Assistance, Environmental Remediation and Norm Promotion in the Draft Convention for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (June 2017).
- The Nuclear Weapons Ban and Human Security for All: Assessing the Draft Convention on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons from a Human Security Perspective (June 2017).
- Improving Positive Obligations in the Draft Convention on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (May 2017).
- Humanitarian Positive Obligations for a Nuclear Weapons Ban Treaty (April 2017).
- The Case for Risk Education and Dissemination Provisions in the Nuclear Weapons Ban Treaty (March 2017).
- Special Section of Global Policy on the Humanitarian Initiative on Nuclear Weapons (August 2016).
On the Arms Trade Treaty
- Using the Arms Trade Treaty to Address Pastoralist Conflict and Wildlife Crime in Kenya’s Marginalized Regions (May 2018)
- The Role of Education in Advancing Arms Trade Treaty Universalization and Implementation: Lessons Learned from ATT Academy East Africa 2016-2017 (May 2017).
- Le Rôle de l’Éducation dans l’Avancement de l’Universalisation et de la Mise en Oeuvre du Traité sur le Commerce des Armes: Enseignements tirés de l’Académie du TCA en Afrique de l’Est, 2016–2017 (May 2017).
- How to Use the Arms Trade Treaty to Address Armed Violence in Pastoralist Communities (March 2017).
- Comment Utiliser le Traité sur le Commerce des Armes Afin de Cibler La Violence Armée au Sein des Communautés Pastorales (March 2017).
- How To Use the Arms Trade Treaty to Address Wildlife Crime (September 2016)
- Comment utiliser le Traité sur le commerce des armes pour cibler la Criminalité liée aux espèces sauvages (September 2016).
On Armed Drones
- The Humanitarian Impact of Drones (October 2017)
On Disarmament Education
- Disarmament Education, article for First Committee Briefing Book 2018 (September 2018).
- “Related to the lives and concerns of the learners”: Revitalizing undergraduate disarmament education through Model UN simulations and service learning (January 2018)
- Disarmament Education, article for First Committee Briefing Book 2017 (September 2017).
On Grassroots Disarmament and Peacebuilding
- Maridhiano Mashinani (Reconciliation at the Grassroots): Reflections on the Role of the Church in Building Sustainable Peace in the North Rift Region of Kenya (May 2017).
Relevant Publications by Pace University Scholars
Academic and policy publications by Pace University scholars on issues related to landmines, cluster munitions, the arms trade, nuclear weapons, ‘killer robots’ and drones can be found listed on the International Disarmament Institute’s website.